Our Headquarters was Coghlan's dream
Irish-born Capt John Patrick Coghlan, MC, who served the Guyana Legion as President for two periods – 1942-43 and 1948-52 was a World War One veteran serving as Judge Advocate of the British West Indies Regiment. He held the Military Cross (MC).
A man of grate vision and faith in the development of the then British Guiana it was his initiative and commitment to the cause of ex-Servicemen which resulted in the Legion's acquisition of its own property for its headquarters.
Coghlan was given a mandate by his colleagues to acquire suitable premises for meetings and to be used as the Legion's main base of administrative operations. At that time the Legion occupied rented premises at South Road Bourda.
As head of a select committee Coghlan was able to interest local business firms and others in contributing towards the headquarters project and, with Government's assistance, one of his most cherished drams for his fellow veterans manifested itself in 1948 in the form of the site and building which now houses the Legion's headquarters.
Coghan was a Barrister-at-Law (LLB) and a Magistrate for many years in his adopted country. After retiring from the Public Service Capt Coghlan, who lived at Pouderoyen, West Bank Demerara, became a member of the British Guiana Legislative Council at which forum he was the first person who moved a motion calling for a bridge across the Demerara River.
The Guyana Legion Headquarters building was named Coghlan House following a motion at the half-yearly General Meeting in August, 2009. The sign board outside was formally unveiled by the Honourable Samuel A Hinds, Prime Minister on November 8, 2009